Vias is among the first bodies in Belgium to have integrated the infrastructure in the approach of road safety and mobility
We conduct evaluation studies to investigate the impact of infrastructure on mobility and road safety - for authorities and private companies.
Thanks to our expertise we are able to provide insight into road user behaviour, interactions and conflicts before and after the adaptation of the infrastructure. We use advanced video analytics to process and analyse the video data collected via temporary camera installations.
For more than 30 years we have been contributing to reflections and changing perspectives on infrastructure design. Civil servants, civil engineers, mobility consultants, political decision-makers and business owners have moved forward with us, facilitating progress, freeing up budgets, others setting an example "at home". We intervene at the request of road managers, the police, legal authorities, private companies, and national or international organizations.
Our recent accomplishments:
- Analysis of 84 black spots on regional roads in Flanders and proposals for quick-win solutions
- Study of 30 ZACA (zones à concentration d’accidents en région de Bruxelles-capitale) for Brussels Mobility
- Ex ante study in relation to the effect of extinguish public lighting at night in Rebecq
- Development of signage and rules for securing the movements of visitors and employees for all transport modes at NATO and Eurocontrol in Brussels
- Speed Measurements - STIB, Haren Depot Site
- Contribution to the accessibility strategy for STIB's public transport network
- Assessment of the effects of a winged crosswalk on 2x2 roads with a speed limit of 50 km/h for AWV
- Assessment of the safety impact of a "3D pedestrian crossing" for AWV
- Recommendations to Brussels Mobility regarding pedestrian zones policy
- Accidentology of seniors in Brussels
Our in-depth analyses have always had an "all road users" approach. We have intervened in many Belgian municipalities and we bring added value to your on-site infrastructure
We offer comprehensive infrastructure audits to companies to address the mobility and safety problems you face on-site. With advanced techniques we analyse interactions between users of different transport modes to ensure safety of all.
We have supported already a range of organizations to improve the quality and safety of their road infrastructure. This has included sites such as Lhoist (Jemelle), Holcim (Floreffe), GSK Belgium (three sites), Total (Anvers and Feluy), Prayon (Engis), Mastercard (Waterloo), Elia (three Brussels sites).